Swimming lessons at pools operated by Renfrewshire Leisure will begin to return from Monday, May 24th. This will be on a phased basis, starting with those at the Starfish level - beginners aged five years and over - with other groups returning on a gradual basis.
All being well - and dependent on Covid-19 restriction levels and guidelines - it is hoped that all the intermediate and advanced groups (Seals, Dolphins, Swordfish and Sharks) will return from June 7th.
This phased return is necessary to comply with social distancing requirements, which have reduced lesson capacity and, therefore, timetable space.
Pre-school lessons are not permitted until Covid-19 restrictions reach level zero, because instructors need to be in the water with children. This also means that parent and toddler sessions cannot yet take place because of social distancing requirements.
Parents have been contacted with details about their child’s lesson times, for those in the first phase of lessons.
The swimming lesson programme will start at Starfish level, in light of the importance to promote basic water confidence among as many children as possible.
Final details on the return of other group levels will be shared as soon as they are confirmed.
If your child was attending STARFISH lessons and you haven’t been contacted to please email Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the centre direct (0300 300 0250).
Swimming lessons: Key information
- Entrance to the building will be via the main entrance. Please sanitise your hands on arrival. Please do not arrive any earlier than 10 minutes in advance of the session.
- The accompanying parent / guardian will be asked to complete Test and Protect information.
- All customers over the age of 5 years should wear a face-covering (please let a member of staff know if you are exempt).
- All ‘Learn to Swim’ customers will be required to confirm attendance at the reception area, before being asked to queue in the designated area as identified by the facility team.
- All swimmers must arrive ‘swim ready’, dressed in their swimwear (swimming costume or shorts) with an easily removable item of clothing such as a dressing gown, onesie or coat.
- A Swimming Instructor will escort swimmers AND parent/carer onto poolside via the designated route within the changing village.
- Parent/carer will take a seat on poolside and the swimmer will remove their item(s) of clothing, before sitting at a coloured spot at their designated teaching station. Please note – only 1 seat is available per spectator ‘group’ (in the case of accompanying children).
- No access to showers will be available prior to or after lesson.
- Parent/carer is to remain on poolside for the duration of the lesson.
- Participants can remove face covering prior to the start of the lesson. Please ensure social distancing is maintained at all times.
- All instructors will be teaching from poolside and will remain socially distanced from the pupils. No hands on support can be provided at this time. Teachers will no longer be able to assist with putting on or taking off googles. Please ensure your child practises the skill before returning to swimming lessons. Participants are encouraged to bring their own swim aids i.e. floats, woggle if they have one. One will be supplied if not.
- At the end of the lesson, parent/carers are to escort children off poolside and into the designated area. Please wait for direction from the swimming Instructor (groups will exit one at a time).
- Swimmers should get changed as quickly as possible (maximum 10 minutes).
- Please ensure you keep 2 metres apart from other pool users at all times; this includes while getting changed (please note maximum occupancy levels have been reduced to ensure social distancing guidelines can be followed).